The Foundations 2022 annual grant round has been completed.
The next round of grant giving will occur between April and June, 2023.
Application, assessment and awarding process
The grant round will be run through a two step process:
- An Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Invitation to submit a full application
Once the Collaborative has reviewed EOI’s, suitable organisations will be invited to submit a full application detailing the project and/or activities for which they are seeking funding.
Approximately $1,000,000 is available in grants (evenly provided by the Foundations: John James Foundation, The Snow Foundation and Hands Across Canberra).
The majority of grants are expected to be in the $5,000 – $25,000 range, with a few up to $50,000. Smaller grants applications are also welcome. A limited number of multi-year grants are possible.
Organisations may apply for more than 1 grant/activity/project.
Unless earmarked for multi-year awards, funds should be expended within 12 months from the date of approval.
Expressions of Interest OPEN: 24th February to 17 March 2022
Expressions of Interest reviewed: 18th March to 31 March 2022
Results of Expressions of Interest – Applications OPEN: 31 March to 21 April 2022
Applications reviewed: 21 April to 31 May 2022
Grant Awards Announced: June 2022
Eligibility and Assessment Criteria
Who: Grants are intended for community organisations and social enterprises that work with socially disadvantaged and vulnerable groups.
This includes at-risk children, youth, young people, women, men and elderly persons; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, refugees, migrants, precariously employed people, unemployed people, prisoners, domestic violence victims and perpetrators, homeless people, persons with a disability, persons identifying as LGBTIQ+ amongst others.
Location: Projects delivered in Canberra and the surrounding region.
- New and expanded programming – costs associated with the development, delivery, or evaluation of new programs or expansion of existing programs.
- Existing Programming – costs associated with the delivery of current or ongoing programming – only for individual organisations and where outcomes can be attributed.
- Capacity building – costs associated with strengthening organisation’s ability to deliver on charitable mission.
Activities may contribute to (but are not limited by the below list):
- Social inclusion opportunities: working to build community harmony and inclusiveness
- Enhancing community connectedness: including spaces to convene and connect; and bridging the digital divide.
- Support for sector collaboration
- Service awareness and outreach
- Support for staff mental health and wellbeing
- Equipment enabling improved or increased service provision
- Health education and awareness programs
- Capacity building for staff and community
- Mobility of service users to and from programs/appointments
- Taking measures to help reduce the overrepresentation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Canberrans in the justice system and to promote access to justice
- Providing support for individuals and families experiencing housing stress
- Preparing young, marginalized people to enter the job market post-covid and addressing barriers to employment for various community groups
Exclusions: Funding will not be considered for individuals, overseas study, or travel, lobbying, political activities, completed projects or expenses that have already been acquitted or salaries for regular staff.
How to submit an Expression of Interest
The Canberra Foundations Collaborative EOI process will be administered by Hands Across Canberra which uses Foundant to manage applications.
All applications must be submitted via the online Expression of Interest Form.
New Foundant Users: Please click on “Create New Account” to complete the brief registration process and create your logon credentials.
Existing Foundant Users: If you have applied for a grant with Hands Across Canberra and the Chief Minister’s Charitable Fund in the last 12 months you should already have a username and password to access the portal. If you have forgotten your password please request a new one by clicking the “Forgot your password?” link under the logon prompts.
Interested grant applicants are encouraged to contact someone from the Collaborative before making a submission.
Please click on the following link to submit an Expression of Interest